Summary: Jaquith Public Library trustees are entrusted to manage library funds and support the librarian for the benefit of the library. Trustees serve as a link with Marshfield residents and collaborate with the librarian to develop ways to best serve the local community.
Trustee Responsibilities Include:
● Financial management.
● Hiring and regularly evaluating the library director.
● Long range planning, in cooperation with the librarian.
● Setting library policy, in cooperation with the librarian.
● Creating by-laws.
● Promoting library use.
Primary Duties Are:
● Prepare for, attend and participate in monthly board meetings.
● Follow up on tasks promised.
● Maintain library documents pertaining to the board such as: policies and procedures, meeting minutes and long range library plans.
● Regularly evaluate the librarians performance in writing.
● Be familiar with state and federal laws relating to managing the library, such as: those relating to employment, operating a public library building, etc.
● Monitor and evaluate the library's overall effectiveness.
● Support library services and participate in library programs.
● Advocate for library support in the community and statewide.
● Develop and implement fundraising strategies for the library and ensure that the library's annual fundraising goals are met.
● Learn as much as possible about issues affecting library services.
● Create and promote a yearly budget to the community at town meeting day.